Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Yipes!

The AWC is a philanthropic organization sponsoring a number of charities, most notably our contributions to breast cancer research and treatment in the Netherlands. This is a cause near and dear to all of us (remember the Heart Pillow Project?) and we are continuing with our participation in fundraising for breast cancer.

As the Club's President, I am the ambassador to events in which we collaborate with other organizations and/or sponsor. This means some public speaking, which I dread. (I spoke at last year's 9/11 ceremony and found it to be really tough). And yes, I am aware that as a drama major I've never really had any anxiety about being on stage and performing. But in a role and with a script and blocking that has been rehearsed for a long time, it is quite different. And by the way, since college I've always found auditions very nerve-wracking. Anyway...

In just over a week I have to give a speech at an art auction (Christie's will be auctioning a painting acquired through a "friend of the AWC") in The Hague - it is a reception to which well over 100 people are confirmed to attend, and many of them are diplomats and high society folk - oh my God - what have I gotten myself into? The reception is the closing of a month-long art exhibition that has been ongoing for the month of September leading to October which is the 7th Annual Breast Cancer Awareness Month in the Netherlands. A pretty big deal. I agreed that the AWC would sponsor it so I'll be front and center, representing the Club. No pressure.

I did have to give a brief address to the Membership at our Sept 10 Kick Off meeting, but this was not much more than some simple introductions and a few reminders. This is quite a bit different. At least for me.

I can do this, but it won't be entirely comfortable. I've got to work with a colleague to learn the proper protocol for addressing and meeting some of these dignitaries. Well, I'll wear something spectacular and turn on the ol' New England charm - it'll be an experience!

It'll be a good warm up for my presentation of the new U.S. Ambassador when she addresses our Members at a meeting in November.

Any sage advice, my friends and family??

No comments: