Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Missing Andy

Ok, this entry has nothing to do with Holland or, in fact, my life at all. But I wanted to share something cool with you.

And Missing Andy is not a complete description of this entry, but I'd hoped the title might make you curious.

Missing Andy, a UK band, performed in (yes, yet another) a tv talent show called "Must Be the Music" (one of the judges is Dizzy Rascal - very fun to watch). This competition is a bit different than others I've seen as nearly all of the competitors write, compose and perform their original work.

Anyway, I was instantly inspired by this song/anthem in particular, and thought it might win, if only because so many of those watching would strongly identify with it (although I admit that Emma's Imigination, the winner, certainly deserved to win). Missing Andy deserved to win - they all did - but there would only be one. I chose to show you the video of the song rather than the actual story as it paints quite a picture (and perhaps helps you interpret/translate from "the Queen's English" sung with the London affect to "American Engish")

Anyway, this song, "Made in England," geared to the average UK working man, also has a message that rings true for many Americans as well, since both our cultures and economies have experienced similar challenges, resulting in a similar feeling for many citizens of both countries. In case you can't understand the lyrics, the chorus is:

I'm made in England
I call it my kingdom
She may let me down
She would never take a bow for me

Sold down the river
You scream till they hear ya
And I'm still standing proud
Even as every town has fallen down to it's knees


They didn't win the competion, but I imagine this exposure will take them places (as is true with all of these contestants.)

There were several artists that were just so amazing, including Kyan, Hero, The Pictures, and Pepper and Piano. Such amazing talent. All of these artists have written and performed their own music. It is pretty impressive.




Emma's Imagination (the winner) also performed "Focus" (below) and another more upbeat song called "This Day" which was also great. She has been making a living as a busker (street performer) in Glasgow until now (she's going places):





Pepper and Piano - this one gave me chills and made me cry. The singer, Pepper, is singing a song written by her friend who has seen (as they both have) some pretty hard times. I'm playing it as I compose this entry and have goosebumps.



Kyle, a self-taught musician and composer has had no formal musical training. This clip doesn't play the whole song, which is beautiful, but the reactions of Dizzy Rascal and Jaime Cullum (who was more than impressed) say a great deal about his talent.



Hero, an 11-year-old girl, sings a song she wrote and composed about a boy she met on holiday who said he'd call her and then never did. If you didn't know the story, you'd be hearing a grown-up love song. You can look for her performance of "Swept Away" on YouTube or on the Must Be the Music website. I won't post the video, but you can find it if you're curious. This one made me cry, too :)

Also noteworthy is Kyle, a young man with a condition in which he sees music in colors and taught himself to play the piano by studying endless hours of YouTube videos.

And then there is Danny Lane, a profoundly deaf pianist who wants to inspire children.

Wow.

No comments: