Sunday, February 27, 2011

Another excellent New Year's Celebration

This year we celebrated the New Year by attending a party at the home of our friends, Pam and Dorsey. Their son Brian, son George and his parter Michael, were among the special guests visiting for the holidays.

Throughout the day, the pop, bang and burst of fireworks is heard everywhere, and at Midnight, the real insanity begins! Everywhere people have parties and set off their own supply of fireworks (with champagne glasses in-hand) and our party was no exception. I flipped of my fancy high-heels in favor of my Uggs and my winter coat and was brave (or foolish?) enough to get right in there.

It is dangerous (fireworks and the associated debris come from all angles), but in the end, we all had our fingers, toes and eyes - although early on Dorsey was injured by a falling stick - the stem of a large bottle rocket (about three feet long and nearly an inch thick) - on his head! A bit stunned, he wiped away the blood and got back to the business at-hand. What a trooper!

You can see from these video clips that it isn't for the faint of heart - it is loud and downright dangerous at moments (my 'girl throw' meant that on at least two occasions I managed to toss a bottle rocket into the hood of my coat - managing to singe the fake fur collar - and, although Brian says it wasn't me, I think I was the one who caused a hole to be burnt on the front of his sweater!) The fireworks continue at a high level of intensity from Midnight until at least 2 a.m., which is the hour designated by the city to stop - but crackling continues until the very wee hours. It is a unique experience, and one that everyone enjoys as evidenced by all the laughter you can hear in the film.

Enjoy!


No comments: