Saturday, October 17, 2009

"Be normal, then you will be fool enough."

In an effort to work through my "dip in the W" phase, I was doing a bit of research to better understand the Dutch culture. Perhaps "talking" it out on the blog will help me over the hump.





This is an excerpt from an article posted on a web site entitled Amsterdam Expats: Dutch Culture - see http://www.amsterdam-expats.info/settled/dutch-culture





Dutch culture is based on Christian ideology, which still influences Dutch politics. However, since the industrial revolution, the influence of other ideologies and religions has added a level of complexity.





Dutch society is modern and egalitarian. In general, inhabitants are tolerant, modest, entrepreneurial, and independent. Ambition, education, personal achievement and hard work are highly valued qualities.





The Dutch reject those who flaunt themselves for no other reason than to show off. "Be normal, than you will be fool enough" is a common phrase in the Netherlands. I like it.





Most Dutch people might come across as impolite (and by my own standards, yes, they certainly are at times), by going straight to the matter at hand. This usually makes them seem stiff or uptight to foreigners (that's me). And this is the view that I still tend to have even after having lived here for nearly a year and a half. And it is a habit of many of my American friends to occasionally slip into a "'Dis' the Dutch" session (the things that just drive us all berzerk!)





However, if you get to know them better, it is more good than not (like our friends Anneke and Ray). For example: Almost 90 percent of the Dutch speak English, and most of the people working in the tourist sector also speak German and/or French. Their cultural heritage, artistic and musical legacy, rich history and involvement in international affairs are subjects Dutch people are proud of. As well they should be.



The fact is, I love living here (what a blessing), but there are things about the Dutch, and about expat life anywhere, that will always make me feel a bit out of place, or a bit uncomfortable or frustrated. Can't be avoided, really. It is nice to know that I'm in a good place in my life where I can appreciate the differences and challenges, rather than reject and wrestle with them. I'm still wrestling :)

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Great post! I think you're over the hump. I've found the key to living in another culture is in always working to understand it, not in being frustrated that it's not like ours. I learned a lot from the Europeans :)