Wednesday, October 14, 2009

"We must learn how to create peace in the aftermath."

This article by Dr. Judith Rich struck me - and I hope you take a look.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-judith-rich/the-nobel-prize-a-tool-fo_b_316984.html


Normally I might be inspired to write my own piece on a subject that I think warrants a post - but I don't think anyone could communicate this message more clearly, accurately or diplomatically than this.


And no, my blog isn't going to become a political or philosophical one. But this sort of thing is all the more important to me as an American (and a human being/and a world citizen) living outside of the States (and so fits with this blog's purpose - to tell you about how our lives are affected by living outside of the U.S.). Because we're surrounded by such a wide international population and culture, and one that is politically very vocal and varied, I learn so much. Which makes me open to learning more.


I think about things now with a bit of a different perspective than I did when I lived in the States, and certainly before I became part of an international family. My views about some things that I thought would remain constant have changed and some priorities have become more important to me, and others less so. Things that used to bother me don't - and new pet peeves surface :o)


Anyway...


The message is an important one.

I'm curious to know what you think after you read this.



Next up: our very short weekend in Antwerp.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I've been quite (obviously) absent from the blog world for some time and sorry I missed so many of these great posts.

Yes, yes, yes. I'm with Judith Rich completely. I've been disappointed, but not at all surprised at the negativity and criticism that every single thing this President does has been met with and in particular, I've been disappointed and annoyed with the swipes taken at him for his conciliatory and open attitude toward other world leaders.

The good news and the bad news is that no matter which side of the ideological fence most Americans stand on, I think we're getting battle fatigue. Being left of center on most issues, but not very far left, I think extremists on both the left and the right have behaved deplorably, but I think that extreme behavior may be nudging many more of us toward the center and that has to be a good thing. I just hope we aren't nudged into complacency.

In the end, I am delighted for you that you're living in Europe during this, and not the previous administration. At least you don't have to pretend you're Canadian. :)