Friday, April 25, 2008

My first poffertjies


(from left to right this is Becky, Pam and Deb)







Yesterday was another fun day! I joined some of my new friends in the Hague and we went back to Keukenhof. Pam is the woman who recruited me into the AWC - and she and I are becoming fast friends. Pam considers her home to be Texas. She and her husband had been living here for several years before being relocated to Venezuela, then returning to the Netherlands this past August.


Deb is the current editor of Going Dutch, and she is returning to the States (Tennesee) in May for a few months. Her husband, Harry, has been deployed to Afghanistan. Deb and I have become good friends already, and I am looking forward to her return to Holland and she hasn't even left yet! Becky is another member of AWC and, among other things, she runs the gift shop.

We were very lucky weather-wise. This glorious (and unusual) sunny, dry and warm weather has continued to bless us. The morning (and the forecast) seemed to be planning to deliver clouds and rain. Well, as we headed out the sun came out and it was a gorgeous day. We thoroughly enjoyed the gardens. We were enjoying the sounds of the giant organ grinder (I'm not sure this is the right term for this as the machine is much larger than the word conjures up in one's mind - I'll have to find out the proper name). Anyway, what a great way to capture the history and spirit of the culture...until we came back to it later in the day and the music it played was actually Bohemian Rhapsody!! It just seemed wrong on so many levels that Queen would be part of the repertoire :) Ah, well.




There was lots to see that I hadn't on my previous visit - displays of flowers inside, including some very exotic orchids. There is a little petting zoo with goats, sheep and a donkey, and there are some cute pigs. Pam was brave enought to pet them and the one she chose to scratch his side fell on his side like a puppy when he wants his belly rubbed.

I'm including a separate video clip of one display of flowers in the shape of a large dragon - hard to capture but I gave it a shot.

While we were there, we had a couple of treats that were new to me. First, Pam and I decided to forego the tour of the big windmill to have a hot ham sandwich with sauce. This particular ham is, well, melt-in-your-mouth delicious! See the picture of Pam with said sandwich. As if that weren't enough of a treat, Pam told me that we had to try poffertjies, which are like little, tiny, puffed-up pancakes. One chooses toppings for these similar to pannekeuken - and I chose mine met chocolate and slagroom (whipped cream). Oh boy, are these things yummy!

Just as we were pulling out of the parking area, the rain began to come down. How lucky were we?

Enjoy the photos and the video I created.






No comments: