Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Going Home for the First Time




This is a view from our seats at Adams Park, Wycombe's stadium.
My favorite WWFC fan :)



In mid-May Alex and I headed out for a trip to the UK and I a trip to the US. This would be the first trip home for both of us since our relocation and we were anxious to see everyone.

Since we had load of things to take with us to bring to my in-laws, we drove to Dunkirk and took the ferry across the channel to Dover. This was exciting for me as I'd actually be in five countries just over the course of the weekend. We drove through Belgium, Brussels and France where we boarded the ferry and arrived at the gorgeous white cliffs of Dover. What a sight.

We spent some time with family and friends, and Alex and I went to a Wycombe Wanderers football game at their local field, Adams Park, in Wycombe. Football is always a buzz for me as the energy at most games is nothing like that of any other sporting event I've attended. We had to bypass the local pub which had been overtaken by the opposing team, Stockport County. It isn't really as dangerous as it used to be - but when you're outnumbered by loads of drunk 'away' fans who are in your territory, unless you want to risk something 'kicking off' it is wise to just keep walking. Beer is served in the stadium only until the game starts. Fans are separated at the gates so that each team's supporters are together. It can get pretty rowdy and it is an awful lot of fun to be there (particularly if the weather is cooperative - which it was). In any event, we drew, one all - which was a disappointment as Stockport had beaten Wycombe at their last game. It was still a great game and something I'd recommend to anyone who has the opportunity to do.

On the Monday I got on a flight to the US to visit my US family and friends for a few days, before returning to spend some time in Wales (specifically Burryport) and to attend Alex's graduation from Henley College where he received the MBA that he worked on for six years! These trips will be documented in separate entries.

On to America...


1 comment:

Denis said...

i noticed that you've posted twice, but i almost didn't notice. My key has been the pictures that were there before you left on vacation. They're the same pix and twice i'd come and gone without a comment because i thought you didn't post. Change your pix.
love denis