Monday, June 9, 2008

Simple things

When you're living internationally, there are some very simple things that would be easy to do if you were home. I was reminded of this recently both when I had to find my way to immigration on my own to get my residency card, and also when I had a knee injury.
After my return from our US-UK trip, I had reinjured my knee and had bursitis (not serious, but very painful). Although I was pretty sure there wasn't anything terribly wrong, because it was the second time in several weeks I'd had the problem, I thought it wise to have a doctor check it.
Because I'd followed recommendations, I'd already sorted out a doctor and we'd both registered with and visited our local huisart (house doctor).
Anyway, the whole process is a bit interesting. In the first place, your huisart is located in your neighborhood. In fact, the first doctor I called was located probably two or three miles away. I was told that I had to call the LOCAL doctor - who is probably 500 yards from the house.
Your huisart has only a reasonable number of patients - and they make housecalls (although I'd have to be pretty sick not to be able to get to his office, which is really in a residential home just steps from our house).
When you visit the doctor, he or she is the one who comes to the small waiting area (and so far they've been extremely prompt) and greets you and brings you to the office. The office is also the examining room. You sit in a chair opposite the doctor first, and will be asked "what can I do for you?" And by the way, they don't do well visits or checkups - you see a doctor usually when something is wrong.
So I visited Dr. Welm who examined me and then decided that we should x-ray the knee.
X-rays (and diagostic tests) are not done on-site, and you get an order that you take to the local lab, or in my case, the hospital.
Now, when you do something like this at home - its easy! Easy here, too, but more challenging when you don't know quite where to go - and signs and instructions are all in Dutch. It is a bit intimidating and somewhat confusing.
So I made it to the hospital and found the radiology department. But they sent me back to registration and couldn't find my appointment at first. This was because when asked my name I gave my first name first -- so the appointment was under 'Leslie' instead of my surname. Also a note - the Dutch don't really queue and they will cut you off to beat you to the front of the line. I was reminded of this as a gentleman sped past me as I was about five feet from the woman at the desk in the x-ray department. I should have (would have been expected to) say to him "No, I was here first" - but I didn't.
At reception I noticed there was a numbered ticked system and pulled the tab, waited for a couple of other patients to do their own business, and was quickly and efficiently registered, and I returned to the x-ray lab.
When I was called, the attendant brought me into a closet-sized room in between the waiting area and the x-ray room. You leave your valuables in such a room, and undress if necessary. But no gowns ... I'm not terribly modest, so wasn't bothered, but this would be a shock to those of you that are a bit more shy than I.
I was x-rayed and sent home. BTW, they won't have to take the leg - the kneecap is in-tact and I'll be sent to a physiotherapist to help make the knee better.
Nothing exciting, but a learning point for me.

1 comment:

Denis said...

I have to laugh by your colloquialisms, 'sorted out the doctor', etc. In a year your grammar will be a real concoction! But, I admire your ability to roll with the proverbial tide. I remember when I first went to the UK, I was a bit unnerved by the tube and it took me a while to even go on it.